Thursday, April 3, 2008

Moving Back Part 1

I decided to move back home last April, after living and studying in MZANZI for three and a half years. I graduated in June 2006 and kept hoping and praying that i would find a job. I went for countless interviews, hoping that very soon my phone will ring and I'll be asked to come in for a follow up interview.
This went on this for 6 more months and i kept believing something will come up but it never happened. On this fateful day, i woke up and decided to call my mum who had been stressing about the need to come back home to serve (NYSC). You can imagine how excited she was when i informed her of my decision to move back home in 2weeks. The following conversation ensued between my mum and i
mum: tiffanycaselady, how are you? Salafia nii (i hope you are well)
tiffanycaselady: I'm fine thank you ma
mum; are you sure? you don't sound too good
tcl: Mum, I'm tired, I'm frustrated right now
mum: why?
tcl: this job thingie is really getting to me,i cant take it any longer. I'm moving back home in two weeks as a matter of fact I've just booked and paid for my ticket.
mum: Adupe o (thank God) Finally you are beginning to see reason with me, there are opportunities here too. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
tcl: hmmmmmmm, i better be o. Okay mum, i just wanted to let you so y'all can await my arrival in 2 Weeks. hows everyone ?
mum: they're fine. take care of you and TTYL
tcl: bye mum.
So that's how i started packing my stuff, looked up a few numbers for freighting companies in the yellow pages and the phone calls followed. I was very sad when i finally made a deal as it had just dawned on me that in a weeks time, they'll be at mine to cart off all my belongings.
I arrived in the good ol Muritala Mohammed Airport, the heat that greeted me as i steep out of the airport was unbearable. Some things don't ever change. Everyone was there to receive me, Mum and my siblings, it felt good to be back at home with my family, i missed them so much even though i was i visited Nigeria at least thrice a year.
I was settled in less than a week, i started making phone calls contacting people that i knew very well, barely knew and mere acquaintances , all in the bid of finding a job asap. I mean, i had wasted 7 months of the past year in finding a job so you can only imagine how staying 2 more weeks at home in Naija can just kill me off. Somewhere in between finding a job and settling into the scheme of things, an old friend of mine came visiting, we hadn't seen each other in a 3years but had spoken about four times which according to her standards wasnt good enough. So we decided to meet up, she had good news, she was getting married. I was excited for her. The next i heard was how far with you now? i was like ehn? she said how's the boify to which i replied no boify o. She was like na wah o, you mean you didnt catch any fine bloke whilst you were in MZANZI, i was like God forbid, those violent men. Long and short of the story was that she had a someone in mind she wanted me to meet to which my response was okay. For the sake of this post lets call my friend Bully and the dude she introduced me to as Ladi.
By the first week in may, i got a job, it wasn't anything serious but i was very grateful to God cos i could leave the house in the morning and go back home in the evening.
Wow! What a relief that was for me. That's how i became Lagos working class chick.
I'll fill you in my next post on my meeting with Ladi and all that folowed thereafter.
I hope my writing isnt as bad as i think it is.
Cheers!!!

6 comments:

Ms. emmotions said...

welcome to blogvile !!!

ur writting isnt bad at all,
my one advise to u is never allow people or circumstances determine ur outlook to life dear,

waiting patiently to getting to know u thru ur post

tiffanycaselady said...

@ Ms. emmotions thanks for heads up.

AJIKE said...

hey girl..u did well...its ure blog and about you...so u write from the heart, ofcourse its always good, cos i mean it's what u r thinking right....wo b4 i start yarning opaks as usual...

Congrats on the job o, looking forward to reading many posts from you...x

SMSL said...

Madam update naow, you left us hanging? Or is it the new job preventing you from doing so? How you finding it anyways? xxx

tiffanycaselady said...

@pink lips...i finally updated...its kinda longish.

tiffanycaselady said...

Ajike thanks for stopping by...Re: Job, that was my first job, started it in may left in Dec and resumed with another company...guess i need to be much clearer in my writing LOL..Should improve at it as time goes on..

Cheers!!