Thursday, April 24, 2008

Handicapped dreams of becoming a Lawyer

Big thanks to veryone that managed to read my extra long last post till the end and left comments...I really appreciate all your kind words......
I met some dude recently on facebook but thru a mutual friend, he asked my friend if he could add me and she told him she'd have to check with me before he can go ahead..So she did ask me and i said it was okay...so we got chatting, dude happens to be a lawyer and since we had just met and didnt really have anything serious to talk about i decided to center my conversation around Law and being a lawyer..
So i asked him how it felt enforcing the laws? He said " i'll let u into a little secret. Its not as glamorous as in the movies at all - you dont get a gun or a badge, and certainly arent involved in any high-speed car chases on the freeway. Instead wot we get is a silly outfit (wig and drakula-style gown) and we argue all day with a similarly clad man who should have retired many years ago. LOL" My oh my! That was hilarious. I'm glad lawyers don’t get guns or badges; there would have been plenty over zealous lawyers contesting alongside our ever over zealous cops… LOL. And yeah, the whole outfit really sucks...but u lawyers just love it...Don’t you? I have a lot of respect for lawyers by the way…Just hate the outfit..



He agreed with me that there's nothing worse than a lawyers with badges. But wondered the respect for lawyers? Did u secretly always want to become one?
Re: the outfit, yup its a little unusual to the untrained eye (i.e those not used to looking at it), especially if u go to court and base your judgment on what you see there. But the proper outfit dare I say it may be quite becoming i.e proper (i) shirt and winged collar (white not brown!); (ii) pin-striped trousers; (iii) gown; and (iv) of course proper wig as opposed to the brown mass of horse hair (which looks as if its used regularly for football practice) preferred by most lawyers. ha ha ha..(I hope no lawyer finds this offensive in any way)
For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a Lawyer. Since primary school..Its soo funny now just thinking about it...Dad used to call me S.A.N (Senioe Advocate of Nigeria) even though I didn’t know what it meant at the time..lol. That was my nick name why? Cos i was a chatter box..I could talk nineteen to the dozen. Lol.
By the time I turned fourteen, I still felt the same way...I was in the art class and was loving all the art subjects and i thought to myself, I’m on the right track..Funny how I my feelings didn’t change as I was writing jamb, I filled in Law for both my 1st & 2nd choices. Guess what? Somehow, I never passed jamb, I tried twice and never made the cutt off mark.
My dad sent me straight away to a diploma in law course.. That was where I became faced with the challenges of pursuing such a career.. I mean, I had no foundation whatsoever in law yet I had to read all these bulky text books, weekly reports and sit in the library for many hours on end. I found it extremely boring; I was dying in side and really couldn’t tell my dad I didn’t want to become a lawyer again...How could i bring myself to say that to him, after all It was my idea to become a lawyer and not anyone else's.
I was scared of being a disappointment… So i started paying regular visits to the library, i started with the Introduction to legal system in Nigeria, Law of torts (I liked that), criminal law & the other crazy law courses. Well I struggled and passed the 1st year. 2nd year came, the number of courses increased and it was more difficult...e.g Company Law, Land Law, Marine Law and the list was endless... Then to compound matters, i started having problems with my lecturers, they just wanted to sleep with me...The thought of it alone was fustrating ( I kept asking myself, why me??? Even though there were lots of people in the faculty rumoured to be sleeping with their lecturers, i just never imagined that any of those filthy looking things will ever make advances at me...after refusals to comply with their demands in which i got threats for in return i decided to quit...Enough is enough. That was when i said to myself "NO MORE WANTING TO BE A LAWYER OR SAN". Abeg, I can’t take this no more. I refused to continue classes that year, I was just loafing around campus and attending all the club parties and just generally having a ball... It didn't take long for the news to reach my my dad.. He thought i had gone insane... He tried to convince me to go back and i just refused. I had had enough of that place, I hated the school from the begining anyways, It was like an extension of my high school, everyone I went to high school with was there,my juniors, my senior's, it felt like i didnt even leave High school.
Little me decided it was time to set things staright with my dad, I summoned up the courage to tell him one day after I had been told how much of a disappointment i was ,playing truant and blah blah.. I told my late Dad (RIP) that I couldn’t go on anymore. I WAS INDEED VERY SORRY..
So when I say I respect lawyers, its because i know the efforts they put into studying all those cases and reading all those reports and bulky hand outs etc.. The exams too..You have to write a full novel in an exam hall. Argue from now till kingdom come. Gosh, i found that very disturbing.. All in all, its a lot of hard work and there's just too many underpaid lawyers out there...Only few lucky ones get good renumeration...
I decided to focus on a diploma in Mass Communication and i found it more interesting, versatile and it kinda fit my personality too. And i later did a B.Comm in Marketing &Advertising...and absolutely loved it..
(MAYBE I WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER OF AS A LAWYER).
Who knows!!

3 comments:

Today's ranting said...

Hmmmm interesting story.I love the way they dress and I admire them cause the course is a very tough one but I have never dreamt of becoming one.

AJIKE said...

i wanted to be a lawyer one time..but mehn i just thought accounting would do just fine
Cos if i intend to settle in Nigeria..i don't think law would do it 4 me...lol

Interesting though!

How are u hun?

tiffanycaselady said...

@today's ranting...you can say that again, i hear Law school is the straw that can really break the camels back...

thanks for stopping bye!!!

@Ajike, doubt law would have done it for you if you were in Naij, its really tuff out there for those folks.. so is accounting pay off like you you expected??